lunes, 21 de febrero de 2011

Grammar Unit 4

Unit 4:

We use reported speech to report what another person has said, without quoting their exact words.

Reported statements: tense changes

When we convert direct speech into reported speech, we change the tense of the main verb by putting it one step further into the past.


Direct Speech:
-Present simple (I go)
-Present continuous (I’m going)
-Present perfect simple (I have gone)
-Past simple (I went)
-Will (I will go)
-Can (I can go)
-Must (I must go)
 
Reported speech:
-Past simple (I went)
-Past continuous (I was going)
-Past perfect simple (I had gone)
-Past perfect simple (I had gone)
-Would (I would go)
-Could (I could go)
-Had to (I had to go) 
 
Reported statements: other changes
- Most modal verbs do not change.
- Pronouns usually change.
- Expressions of time and place usually change:

DIRECT SPEECH
-Here
-This
-These
-Now
-Next week
-Today
-Tonight
-Tomorrow
-Yesterday
-Last week
REPORTED SPEECH
-There
-That
-Those
-Then
-The following week
-That day
-That night
-The following day
-The day before
-The week before
 
 

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario